Thursday, July 08, 2004

Not sure where this will lead...

Got an e-mail from one of the journalism profs (and a good buddy of mine) at Eastern the other day - there's an opening for a sports writer at a smallish seven-day daily in Jacksonville, IL., not all that far from Alton and maybe a couple of hours from St. Louis.

I at least sent an e-mail to the sports editor there inquiring about it - certainly no harm in checking it out anyway. But it's got me thinking about my own employment situation.

Sometimes I wonder if I made a mistake coming back to my old college town to take a job. I'm not far from Eastern's campus - maybe about three-quarters of a mile - but it's like light-years away from when I first came to EIU 20 years ago next month.

Part of it, I'm sure, is just me getting older. But I sure don't relate to the bar scene here as I did when I was a student. The bars, for the most part, are the same - but the clientle is so much different.

I pretty much stay home now on weekends, for the most part, these days, unless I feel an absolute need to get out of the apartment. But my looks and graying hair must give me away in a student bar - townie!! (For the record, I guess I must be, even though I wasn't born and raised here.)

In a lot of ways, I don't think like the typical Charleston townie, but you couldn't tell that to some of the frat-boy and sorority-queen types I've run into. Won't get into details here, but suffice it to say I wasn't particularly treated very kindly.

There's a few other things I could get into (mostly work-related), but I think I'll keep them to myself for the moment - you never know who might read this (not that I particularly care personally) and with the corporate mentality of "get rid of any critics" running rampant these days, best not take chances.

If I could, though, I'd rather work back in St. Louis. Been looking in the Post for some work up my alley but haven't found much. Guess the job market must be tight there as it is everywhere else.

To quote Linda Ellerbee..."and so it goes."

1 Comments:

Blogger Bill Dennis said...

I used to work at the Jacksonville Journal-Courier many moons ago. It is one of several papers that sent my ass packing. Is John Powers still there? Tell him Bill Dennis says "bite me."

2:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home